With nighttime lows dipping below freezing in Lake Arrowhead, it’s time to warm up. The holidays call for unique beverages that help you feel cozy with a fire. And what better way to do that than with a hot toddy?
A hot toddy is a mixed drink made with alcohol and some spices that not surprisingly is served hot. Some people swear by the drink as a prescription the cold or flu. But make sure you also drink a lot of non-alcoholic fluids to avoid dehydration.
There are many ways to make a hot toddy. So how do you make a traditional one?
- Collect your ingredients first: honey, whiskey, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and a lemon.
- Grab your favorite heavy mug.
- Boil some water and pour in the honey and whiskey. Give it a stir.
- Spice to taste with cloves and cinnamon, and then add the lemon.
- Patience can be rewarding! Let your hot toddy simmer for five minutes so the flavors can mingle. You can take out of the cinnamon sticks and cloves before drinking if the flavors are too strong.
For a different (and non-alcoholic) drink, give chai tea a try. Known as masala chai, traditional chai tea is a drink from the Indian subcontinent. Traditionally served warm, it’s made by brewing tea with a mix of Indian spices and herbs.
- Chai tea has four main components, tea, sweetener, milk, and spices.
- The tea is usually black, or a similar strong tea. You boil the tea and milk together and then add the sweetener and spices. The mixture is then strained to remove the tea leaves and spices.
- Sweetener can be any type: honey, agave, brown sugar or good old refined white sugar.
- Mix and match spices to suit your own tastes. Traditional spices used in Chai teas include cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, fennel or cloves.
If you’re not up for making your own, come by today for a delicious hot toddy, chai beverage, hot chocolate, coffee specialty drinks or wine and beer. We proudly serve Farmer Bros. French Roast and Hazelnut Coffee as well as herbal teas and specialty drinks. Try an Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, Mocha Cappucino, Chai Latte and Steamers. Or, if you prefer, order from our beer and wine menu (which features sparkling wine), or enjoy a specialty drink.
Belgian Waffle Works is a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!