There are roughly 3,500 calories in a single pound. So if your 2014 New Year’s resolutions include losing weight, you will need to burn 500 more calories than you eat every day for a week. If you do this, you should lose about 1-2 pounds. If you would like to lose weight faster, you’ll need to eat less and exercise more. But whether you want to lose weight or not, if the new leaf you want to turn over this year includes getting fit, we’ve got some suggestions for how you can do that in and around Lake Arrowhead Village.
1. Get active! There are lots of great outdoor activities in the San Bernardino Mountains to get your body moving. Ski or snowboard at nearby Snow Valley or if you prefer cross-country to downhill, or like to bike, check in at Rim Nordic in Running Springs. Their staff will set you up with all the gear you need to get out and enjoy the snow. If you’re more an indoor kind of person, bowl a few games in Crestline at Rim Bowling & Entertainment Center.
2. Take a hike. It’s hard to imagine a more inviting walk than the one that greets hikers along the Arrowhead Lake Association trail. And even if you aren’t a member of ALA, you can still enjoy stunning views while walking around the lake on the street level. On the trail, the walk is 14 miles. On the highway around the lake, it clocks in at just over nine. So follow up your walk around the Village with a walk around the lake or hike on USFS trails.
3. Make healthy choices. One of the reasons Belgian Waffle Works was just named Best Breakfast in the Inland Empire for 2014 (four years in a row!) and Best Meal Under $10, is because we offer more than just delicious comfort food. We also feature several healthy options for everyone in your group.
- Multi-grain waffles
- Gluten-free waffles , bread or buns are now available on request
- Egg Whites and Egg Substitutes available on request
- Spa Selections such as Cottage Cheese & Fruit, Steel Cut Oats or a Greek Yogurt Granola Bowl
- Our sandwiches feature high-quality meats and cheeses and homemade buns
- You always have the option of fruit , soup or a side salad instead of French fries.
- Our salads are not pre-made mixes from a bag. Instead, we mix healthy greens with crunchy iceberg lettuce and top it with fresh vegetables, fruits and a variety of delicious dressings, which always come on the side so you can use as much or as little as you want.
- We also offer homemade soups and hearty chili.
4. Shop until you drop! Did you know that one hour of non-food shopping (such as outlet and specialty stores in the Village) burns an average 150 calories? So you can lose weight while you’re picking up great deals and gift items.
5. Join a gym. If you live and/or work in the San Bernardino Mountain communities, you’ve got several great choices to help your weight loss and fitness efforts.
Lake Arrowhead Pilates Center (located inside Lake Arrowhead Village, on the lower level)
Curves Lake Arrowhead (for women) – great new workout designed by Biggest Loser weight-loss guru, Jillian Michaels’.
Whatever your goals for 2014, we hope you will spend at least part of the year at Belgian Waffle Works, a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. In fact, this year, our menu will include fondue. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!