Memorial Day will be early this year—May 26. Lots of activities will be offered in Lake Arrowhead Village. But more on that later. First, we would like to mark the actual reason for the holiday by thanking all of the men and women who gave their lives while serving the U.S. Armed Forces.
Memorial Day is celebrated every year on the final Monday of May. It was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. The Civil War claimed more lives than any conflict in U.S. history, requiring the establishment of the country’s first national cemeteries. By the late 1860s Americans in various towns and cities had begun holding springtime tributes to these countless fallen soldiers, decorating their graves with flowers and reciting prayers. In the 20th century, Memorial Day was extended to honor any and every American who died while in the military service. Despite scattered celebrations in small towns, it took three more years for the holiday to become widely observed.
At Belgian Waffle Works, we love Memorial Day not just because of what it stands for but also because it marks the unofficial start of summer. If you know anything about Lake Arrowhead, you are likely anticipating the season as much as we are! Here are a few reasons to get excited:
- The free Summer Concert Series started on Friday, May 9.
- The Farmer’s Market kicked off on May 9 from 2-8 p.m. All summer long, you’ll be able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade bread, hand-made crafts, fine art, homemade candy and more.
- The New Boat Show on May 31 and June 1 will feature brand new vessels, which will be displayed throughout the village and for sale at significant discounts. Boat manufacturers and dealers will be available to answer question and do on-the-water-demos. Thinking of buying a new boat? This is your event.
- The Antique & Wooden Boat Show will be held in Lake Arrowhead Village on June 7 and 8. In conjunction with the Antique & Classic Wooden Boat Show, Antique, Classic and Woodie cars will be on display throughout the village on Saturday & Sunday.
- Starting on Memorial Day, the Rim of the World Historical Museum is open weekends all summer long.
This summer and all year long, Belgian Waffle Works is a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. In fact, this year, our menu will include fondue. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!