Along with the festive holiday celebrations the area is known for, Lake Arrowhead is located near world-class skiing and snowboarding. Several great resorts are located nearby, each with options for lessons and trails for everyone from kids and beginners to expert skiers and snowboarders.
To ski, you need snow! So how’s the weather looking for the area? While there are a lot of variables, the NOAA offers future predictions on temperatures being either above or below normal. For Southern California, it is looking pretty chilly! Remember that the temperature is the key. Once it dips below a certain point, the snowmaking machines kick into gear!
There are several ski and board rental outlets and places to buy gear near Lake Arrowhead and surrounding cities such as Running Springs and Arrowbear. So getting the right equipment is relatively easy. Consider renting equipment from a knowledgeable retailer instead of borrowing it and trying to “make it fit.”
So where should you go? There are several resorts within an easy drive of Lake Arrowhead:
Snow Valley Mountain Resort:
- Located less than 15 miles from Lake Arrowhead Village at more than 6,000 feet elevation
- 8-12 inches of quality snow as of December 17, 2010
- Lessons available, whether you are a beginner, intermediate or a pro.
- Night sessions – Ski at night select dates throughout the season, usually at significantly reduced lift-ticket prices
- Planning to bring the kids? Snow Valley is perfect for anyone who could benefit from group lessons, mini-snowmobiles, or a “snow play” sledding area.
- About 30 miles from Lake Arrowhead proper
- Known as a family destination, Snow Summit instructors know how to train young skiers and snowboarders.
- Fun events include radio station promotions and races.
Bear Mountain Ski Resort:
- 198 developed acres of skiing fun and 550 accessible back-country acres
- Geronimo! Bear Mountain’s Geronimo run goes for 1.5 miles!
- Several live web cams give you a great look at the crowds and current snow-pack conditions
- While beginners are welcome, Bear Mountain offers double black diamond thrills for advanced skiers
- Don’t want to head to the slopes? Cross country skiing can be performed in a variety of Lake Arrowhead areas including Rim Nordic, which is specially designed for the calorie-burning sport.
- Located on Highway 18 just five miles outside of Running Springs
- Member of the Cross Country Ski Areas Association
- Bring your snowshoes or cross country skis – both are welcome on the trails!
- Lessons are available.
- Get your gear through Rim Nordic or at Leroy’s Board Shop in Lake Arrowhead or Running Springs.
Cross country and downhill skiing are both great calorie burners! Do an hour’s cross country scrambling and you will expend 544 calories. Downhill skiing gets a boost from gravity. But you can still burn up to 408 calories per hour. And since you need calories in before they can come out, stop by Belgian Waffle Works for a tasty meal and a hot beverage to keep you sharp on the slopes.
The Belgian Waffle Works is a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!