Back in Roman and Babylonian times, it’s reported that people liked to eat mixed greens covered with dressing. So it’s entirely possible that moms throughout the ages have been reminding their kids to “eat their greens.”
Salad is a wonderful meal because it can contain many assorted ingredients which can be mixed and matched to suit individual tastes! It’s no longer just the menu choice for those who want to lose weight. Many salads are robust meals that offer a wonderful source of protein and antioxidants. Salads now come in endless varieties, from Cobb to Waldorf!
Belgian Waffle Works offers nine delicious specialty salad plates, all of which are made from fresh vegetables and fruit and are sure to satisfy healthy appetites.
Let’s take a look at some of our delectable salads and the amazing health benefits associated with our select ingredients:
- California Salad—crispy tortilla strips, fresh greens, grilled chicken breast, tasty avocado, sweet onion, tasty beans and bell peppers! Although avocados get a bad rap for fat content, they actually contain the right kinds of fat, which are easily assimilated by the human body—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. They also contain potassium, Vitamin K, and Folate, among many other vitamins and minerals.
- Lemon Chicken Garden Salad—a tantalizing mix of grilled chicken breast, select greens, crisp corn, ripe avocado, juicy tomato, crunchy cucumber and fresh carrots! Tomatoes contain Lycopene, which is one of the most important antioxidants because it not only thwarts cancer but protects the skin from harmful U/V damage.
- Ponderosa Salad—chicken, apple, pear, maple-candied walnuts, and blue cheese. Walnuts are packed with heart healthy and cancer-fighting compounds. Sprinkled liberally on our popular salad, they pack a powerful protein punch!
- Crispy Chicken Garden Salad—choice chicken breast, sprouts, hard-boiled eggs, cucumber, tomato and avocado. Alfalfa Sprouts are a funny-looking vegetable that provide Flavones and can help control cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Cobb Salad—lettuce greens, turkey, crisp bacon, cheese, ham, tomato, egg, and sliced olives. Lettuce is, of course, considered the bedrock of most vegetable-based salads. For nutrition, the greener and bitter tasting lettuces typically have more nutritional value than their sweeter counterparts. For example, romaine lettuce contains 10 times the Vitamin A content of iceberg!
Before you enjoy the natural wonders of Lake Arrowhead, drop by Belgian Waffle Works for a delicious, nutritious meal. Belgian Waffle Works is a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!