If you are visiting Lake Arrowhead in the summer, you’ll naturally want to look your best as you stroll through the shops or hike the Pinnacles. Planning a sensible diet can help you trim down for summer and also learn healthier eating habits for a lifetime.
Diets are tough for everyone. With all the fads and trends out there in dieting, such as the Paleolithic diet, the best way to go is still “eat healthy and exercise.” Belgian Waffle Works can be a friend in your diet quest, offering healthy fare such as a lemon chicken garden salad or perfectly grilled turkey burger.
Prepare for success:
- Putting your diet and exercise goals on paper or keeping a log on your computer will make them seem more real. Be specific as possible, such as “drop 10 pounds by August 1st,” or “go from 10 push-ups to 25.”
- Build realistic goals so you don’t get frustrated. Don’t set goals that would require starving yourself or other unhealthy habits that would not allow you to remain healthy for the long term.
Eating right and keeping track:
- Get a food diary. Keep track of every meal, snack and beverages to be sure you’re counting every calorie. Look at your recommended calorie requirements based on your size, age, activity levels to see where you can make cuts.
- Keep tasty low-calorie snacks with you at all times. Put a bag of carrot sticks in your car, or stash some protein bars at work.
- Willpower at the supermarket is as important as exercising it at the table. You can’t have cookies at midnight if they aren’t in the cabinet.
- Vary the foods you eat to keep your interest in dieting. Try out new fruits and vegetables like mango and kale that might not be a part of your typical routine. The Gardenburger at Belgian Waffle Works is a great way to introduce new vegetables and meat-free protein.
- Drink lots of water to help control hunger pangs and for better health. Many people simply don’t drink enough water. Adequate hydration will help your body and metabolism work better.
- Choose healthy foods such as the many tasty options from Belgian Waffle Works. Enjoy a half Cobb salad with a sweet potato fries appetizer, or a delicious chicken breast sandwich!
- For breakfast, don’t miss some great options: oatmeal served with low fat milk, dried fruit and brown sugar; fresh fruit platter served with low fat cottage cheese and either toast or a waffle; or a delicious yogurt/granola fruit bowl.
- Coming soon, we’ll have a delicious Acai–fruit bowl. Ask for it by name.
Be sure you enjoy yourself a little bit.
- Pick a vice that you can enjoy in moderation. Give yourself a tasty treat once a week, or after you reach certain milestones that you lay out in your goals. We offer a fresh fruit platter with delicious seasonal fruits and cottage cheese that comes with just a slice of a tasty cinnamon roll. Everything in moderation is the key to a healthier diet!
- Portion control! You can have a healthy salad and then perhaps share a dessert with three friends. Going that route will give you tasty treats, but with far fewer calories. Belgian Waffle Works also offers a combo that includes half a turkey sandwich and fruit, which is perfect for dieters or anyone who loves delicious foods.
Sticking to a diet is difficult. However, even attempting to diet can have positive effects. The key is to set realistic goals that you can meet over time and to make healthy eating become second nature. Keep to your diet and you can have confidence in showing off your body this summer.
The Belgian Waffle Works is a full-service family restaurant featuring 17 original specialty Belgian-style waffles, homemade soups, fresh market salads, gourmet sandwiches, juicy burgers, homemade breads, Espresso, Cappuccino, premium desserts, wine, beer, specialty drinks and more. Belgian Waffle Works’ waffles are made from an exclusive mix, which is available for sale onsite and online. Come join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!